There are a number of checks we have to do as part of the assessment process to make sure you can safely look after a child.

These include:

• Disclosure and Barring Service (Police check)
• A medical report via your GP
• A SSAFA check (Soldier, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association) if you have served in the Armed Forces
• A certificate of good conduct or similar – if you have lived abroad for more than 90 days.
• A household risk assessment
• Employment checks
• Ofsted check if you are or have been a registered childminder
• References from family and friends
• An education reference from your child’s school
• A reference from anyone you have parented with, such as an ex-partner. We are mindful that this is not always comfortable but in practice this rarely presents any difficulties. You can speak to your social worker completing your assessment if you have particular concerns about this.